Travel Respiratory Therapy ?'s

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
RT31NC

Travel Respiratory Therapy ?'s

Unread post by RT31NC » Thu May 04, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm a Respiratory Therapist with 5 years of experience and am considering doing Travel Therapy for a few years. The thought of traveling to new states and in increased income is very attractive. However, I do have a few concerns that I was hoping someone with experience could assist me with.

The first is the income portion. On paper it appears to be a tremendous increase in pay and with allotments that boost the net even further. My question is if I elect to have housing provided to me and to have health insurance coverage, does that negate the increase in pay? To those who have traveled before: where else could you live short-term (3-6months) and come out ahead instead of electing to have housing provided?

Taxes:
If I work in multiple states as a traveler, are there any tax exemptions? I don't want to owe a great deal at the end of the year.

I'm an adult RT therapist with experience in acute and an LTACH, are the opportunities less if my Peds experience is limited?

Reimbursement:
Will I be reimbursed for travel, new licenses, uniforms?

Has there ever been a time when a contract is rescinded prior to start? In that case what does the company do?

Since I have a lack of experience in traveling, I also don't know which companies are the favorable ones. I've researched Aureus, Med travelers, and American traveler. Are these reputable and worth pursuing?

Can you sign up for overtime?

Overall, I'd like a good experience and to be able to earn enough to pursue my dream location. I want to know it's worth it and will assist this.

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: Travel Respiratory Therapy ?'s

Unread post by Hobohealth » Thu May 11, 2017 8:37 am

Great questions.

So great that I decided to make a blog out of it - hope these answers help: http://hobohealth.com/wordpress/travelt ... questions/

I try not to give specific recruiter recommendations on the site to keep it fairly impartial, but I'd be happy to send you an email with my recruiters' info.

James